[whatwg] <font>

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com
Wed May 9 00:40:27 PDT 2007

Adrian Sutton wrote:

> The issue isn't that it's hard to fix the WYSIWYG editor, the issue is that
> it's hard to fix all the rest of the systems the client wants and the fact
> that clients tend to want a font menu in their editor otherwise they
> completely eliminate it from consideration without even talking to the
> vendor. It's simple to make the font menu apply fonts using a span tag and
> inline styles but that's no better than using a font tag and it breaks some
> backend processing systems (PDF generation being the one that I encounter
> most).

Leaving aside the broken backends and focusing on the desire for the
font menu, I don't understand what sort of workflows we're talking about
here. Would you mind giving a bit more typical context, as with the
use-cases at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/NOTE-grddl-scenarios-20070406/

I'd have assumed corporate clients generating PDF would want to set
fonts globally or configure styles to match their own branding guidelines.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis