[whatwg] HTML5 is now also hosted by the W3C

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed May 9 21:52:33 PDT 2007

The W3C's HTML working group today resolved to start from the current
WHATWG work. Specifically, the group resolved to review our work, and
will probably build on it.

They also resolved to call this work HTML5.

Thus, the "Web Applications 1.0" spec is now officially named "HTML5"!

I have also checked a copy of the two main WHATWG specs (but with the W3C
boilerplate) into the W3C CVS server.

Going forward, any changes will be committed to both the WHATWG and the
W3C repositories simultaneously.

Nothing will especially change about the WHATWG. Feedback sent to this
list will still be taken into account, as it always has. In fact, my first
order of business going forward is to respond to the thousands of e-mails
of feedback sent to this list over the last few years; you may have
already noticed me doing this.