[whatwg] Parsing: Greater-than characters in doctype

Simon Pieters zcorpan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 11:40:27 PDT 2007

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:23:42 +0200, Simon Pieters <zcorpan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:56:57 +0200, Simon Pieters <zcorpan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> IE seems to not emit the token for > that is in quotes anywhere for
>> both doctypes and bogus comments (or it treats doctypes as bogus
>> comments):
>>
>>     <!doctype ">" >
>>     <! ">" >
>>     <? ">" >
>>     </ ">" >
>
> (BTW, IE actually treats the last one as an element.)
>
> IE's behavior is weirder still, it seems...

If there's a whitespace character or an equals sign before the " or '
character then > characters don't end the comment until a matching " or '
character has been seen. Otherwise > characters end the comment.

Attributes are also parsed in a funny way in IE, but we probably don't
need to copy that.

--
Simon Pieters