[whatwg] Offline Web Apps

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Sep 6 17:46:33 PDT 2007

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I think it's easy to extend Ian's idea in a way that keeps it really
> simple for the simple case, but that works better for the multi-page
> case or other complex cases where pages load some resources dynamically.

> The manifest file would indicate all resources used by the web app,
> including other pages, and other resources that may be loaded by the
> current page but normally would not be at startup (another problem with
> Ian's proposal IMO). Multiple pages that refer to the same manifest are
> considered part of the same web app and share the same cache. If you
> give an empty value for the application attribute, then the implicit
> thing that Ian describes happens - the resources that the page actually
> loads are the ones cached.

Ok, new proposal:

There's a concept of an application cache. An application cache is a group
of resources, the group being identified by a URI (which typically happens
to resolve to a manifest). Resources in a cache are either top-level or
not; top-level resources are those that are HTML or XML and when parsed
with scripting disabled have <html application="..."> with the value of
the attribute pointing to the same URI as identifies the cache.

When you visit a page you first check to see if you have that page in a
cache as a known top-level page.

If you do, skip the next two paragraphs; the 'new cache' flag is set to
false.

If you don't, you fetch the URL. If it has no application="" attribute,
then do whatever the normal thing to do is. Ignore the rest of this.

The presence of the attribute indicates that it's expecting an application
cache to apply. The presence is detected at parse time, and must be
present on the first <html> start tag before any other start tags. Check
that the attribute's value is same-origin safe. If it isn't, pretend the
attribute wasn't there (and ignore the rest of this). Otherwise, check to
see if you already have a cache for the given URI. If you don't, create a
new cache identified by the given URI. In any case, save this resource to
the identified cache, as a known top-level page for that cache. Then, act
as if you had known about the cache when you started (next step), except
with the 'new cache' flag set to true.

Load the page from the cache and display it. Any resources that the page
tries to fetch using GETs that aren't XMLHttpRequest'ed must be taken from
the cache, if available. When they aren't, the resources must be fetched
then stored in the cache.

Once the UA is ready to do so the UA must go on to the next steps. UAs may
do this immediately, or may wait for the original page load to complete,
or may delay it up to a UA-defined minimum delay.

If 'new cache' is true, and the cache identifier URI is the same as the
URI that was just downloaded and put in the cache: Do nothing.

If 'new cache' is true, and the cache identifier URI is different from the
URI that was just downloaded: Fetch the resource identified by that URI.
Store it in the cache. If it's a manifest and it parses correctly,
download all the URIs given in that manifest and add them to the cache. If
any are HTML files which, when parsed with scripting disabled, trigger the
application="" handling and have a value that points to the same URI as
the one identifying this application cache, then mark them as known
top-levels for this cache.

If 'new cache' is false: Create a new cache. Fetch the resource with the
URI of the cache identifier. If it's a manifest, and it has changed from
what's in the last cache, and it parses correctly, download all the URIs
in that manifest and add them to the new cache. If the manifest has an
upgrader entry, use that as the upgrader as described below. Otherwise, if
it's not a manifest but an HTML/XML file, and it has changed from what's
in the last cache, use that as the upgrader as described below. If it's a
manifest that misparsed, or if it's another kind of file, then act as if
it the URI just pointed to the top level page being loaded (and use that
as the upgrader as described below). If the newly updated cache doesn't
contain the current top-level page, then fetch that too.

When a file is fetched by the main page loading in a background browsing
context, the loads are conditional loads, so that files that haven't
changed since the previous update are directly copied from the old cache.

If the newly update cache's copy of the top level page being shown is no
longer categorised as a "known top-level" for this cache (e.g. because it
doesn't have an <html application> attribute any more) then inform the
user, e.g. an infobar saying something like "This application may no
longer be available. (( View new page in a new window )) (( Delete
application from cache )) (( Keep application in cache and check for
updates later )) [x]". The first of these buttons would just show the
background browsing context in the foreground. The second would delete the
webapp cache and reload the page from the normal cache, and the third
would just not do anything special. Don't run the upgrader in this case.

If any of the files being updated in the new cache are 4xx or 5xx, or fail
for some other reason (e.g. DNS errors, user went offline), then the UA
should alert the user to this fact somehow (infobar maybe) -- "An error
occurred while updating the application. (( View details )) [x]" -- and
then wait a few minutes (or longer if it can tell it'll fail again) before
trying again.

Upgrader:
 Create a hidden browsing context.
 Load the upgrader in it.
 Just before onload, fire an 'upgrading' event to every instance of a
  top-level page using a cache with the same identifier.
 The event has a handle to the Window object of the hidden browsing
  context.
 After every 'upgrading' event has been fired, the 'load' event must be
  fired on the upgrader.
 After that happens, if any of the aforementioned instances are still
  using old versions of the cache, then the user agent may inform user
  they can reload to update.

The Upgrader can do such things as updating the database schema between
versions, and when there are multiple instances running, it allows them to
negotiate who will do that work instead of it happening several times.

Modal alerts (window.alert, .prompt, etc) in the background page can
either raise an exception, be ignored, drop a message to a console, or
possibly display a message over the top of the foreground app's browsing
context.

The manifest format has:
 a list of URIs.
 optionally a place to have an opaque string which can be changed
  arbitrarily (this gives authors a way to change the manifest when they
  want things to be refetched).
 optionally a URI for an upgrader (HTML file).

We provide an API that can add files to the cache, and that can be queried
to determine if we are in upgrader mode or not, and that can swap in a
new cache without reloading the page, during the 'upgrading' event.

(If a particular URI is in an application cache as a known top-level, but
later is fetched and found to be a known top-level for another
application, e.g. because two other pages both fetch that page in their
manifest and the server returns pages with different application="" links
for those two apps, then if the page is visited directly, it uses the app
cache of the last cache to have found it as a top-level. This causes
problems if visiting the page directly would return yet another cache
identifier, as then you could only see that page if you'd never seen the
others. I'm not clear about what to do about that.)

Maybe we should check for updates more often than just when the top-level
page is loaded. e.g. we could do it on a timer, or on every cache hit when
online.