[whatwg] Offline Web Apps

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Sep 7 16:02:21 PDT 2007

On Sat, 8 Sep 2007, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> Yes. Suppose Bugzilla had offline support. The Bugzilla UI has a bunch
> of links it with with different query parameters (e.g., bug numbers).
> Bugzilla running offline could take those parameters and use them to
> look up a local database and populate the DOM.
>
> Maybe if we force offline apps to all be single-page then this isn't an
> issue but I don't think that's a good idea.

The new proposal doesn't rely on just having one top-level page.

However, the query parameter thing seems overly complex. It means you're
not just using the same file online as offline, which I'm strongly trying
to keep, to ensure simple back compat.

Given that you'd have to radically rewrite the app anyway to use an
offline database instead of just using HTTP, why would we reuse the URI
query syntax feature? It seems like it'd be better (from a consistency
with existing specs point of view) to use the fragment identifer. No?