[whatwg] RDFa Problem Statement (was: Creative Commons Rights Expression Language)

Kristof Zelechovski giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl
Tue Aug 26 00:04:06 PDT 2008

Web browsers are (hopefully) designed so that they run in every culture.  If
you define a custom vocabulary without considering its ability to describe
phenomena of other cultures and try to impose it worldwide, you do more harm
than good to the representatives of those cultures.  And considering it
properly does require much time and effort; I do not think you can have that
off the shelf without actually listening to them.
In a way, complaining that the Microformats protocol impedes innovation is
like saying 'we are big and rich and strong, so either you accommodate or
you do not exist'.  Not that I do not understand; it is straightforward to
say so and it happens all the time.
Chris