[whatwg] Ghosts from the past and the semantic Web

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 09:22:52 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Kristof Zelechovski <giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl

Of course, now @style is a global attribute.

> You can replace [style] with [class], thereby moving the style to an
> external resource, but shortening the code in [onevent] does not make it
> any
> better.  There is no external declarative way of attaching event handlers
> elements, except in Microsoft Internet Explorer where you can have CSS
> behaviors and SCRIPT[for] (and FUNCTION ID_ONEVENT in Visual Basic
> Scripting
> Edition), but these are proprietary extensions.

Not quite declarative, but I fail to see how that's a necessity.  You can
get pretty darn close, though, with any decent getElementsBySelector
function (I use one created by Dean Edwards that works wonderfully for
adding show/hide functionality to some of my pages).

Ben Adida <ben at adida.net> said:

Well, that was the argument some made, but it was soundly rejected by
folks who felt we were stepping on @class's toes. At the end of the day,
we went with the least amount of disruption possible.

Those folks must *really* hate microformats, then, as they pack *all* of
their semantics into @class.

~TJ