[whatwg] The <m> element

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Feb 17 15:08:09 PST 2008

The <m> element received a _lot_ of feedback; indeed as I write this the
subject line with the third most unanswered e-mails in my issues list is
simply "The m element".

Executive Summary: Despite a lot of feedback suggesting dropping the
entire element, I considered the number of use cases for the element, and
the number of high-profile sites working around the lack of such an
element, to be enough reason to keep the element for now. However, I did
act on the feedback suggesting that the element be renamed; the element is
now called <mark>. I also significantly updated the description of the
element and added a number of examples. I hope these changes clarify how
one uses the element.

FEEDBACK CONCERNING THE EXISTENCE OF THE ELEMENT IN GENERAL

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> I'm not arguing against this. (Heck, I provided the idea for the second
> example.) I'm just saying it hasn't really been requested before and
> that I'm wondering whether it's common enough to warrant a new element.

While it is true that few people have explicitly requested this element,
the same could be said for almost all the other new elements in HTML5. For
new elements we have to consider what people are doing, as well as what
they are asking for.

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Rimantas Liubertas wrote, in response to Anne's first
comment above:

> +1.

Mere agreement isn't a strong argument. :-)

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, Jorgen Horstink wrote:

> I'm an advocate of Anne's suggestion to let the microformat community
> look into it more closely first.

The semantic in question isn't the kind of thing I would imagine would fit
the microformat ethos.

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> As far as I understand it, it means something very like emphasis.
> Expecting people to read the spec for things that have a clear and
> distinct meaning hasn't worked before, so why would we expect it to work
> now in the case of a fine semantic distinction?
>
> I think there are lots of ways of splitting the hairs that define the
> difference, but I don't see that the element is worth adding. And I am a
> native english speaker trying to understand the differences. I can only
> guess at what those people I work with who speak dreadful english are
> going to make of it. I guess it could become the google element (if that
> is the example), or just an optional variant of em (in the same way that
> strong is often used now).

I think the semantic in question is distinct enough from the existing
elements that it isn't just splitting hairs. Historically the
specifications have been very vague on how these elements are used, but
with HTML5 we can define these strictly enough that it should be possible
for people to pick up the right use. (I disagree that the status quo of
confused authors is inevitable, given that the specs they would have been
referring to are at least as confused themselves.)

USING THE <B> ELEMENT INSTEAD

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Simon Pieters wrote:

> I think that we should use <b> instead of <m>. It will stand for marked
> or highlighted. The reason for this is backwards compability. I think
> it's ok, given that we have <dl> to stand for "unordered association
> list", while we havn't given it the name <ual> (or simular).
>
> If we use <b>, Google is already (partially) compliant. ;-)

The difference between the semantic of <b> and the semantic we are
discussing here is that while <b> indicates key words in the text,
independent of the reader, the element we are discussing here is
highlighting key words theoretically relevant for the user.

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, ROBO Design wrote:

> > Should we just repurpose u or b for this semantic instead? What would
> > they stand for?
>
> Not really. I didn't really "enjoy" the repurposing of <small>, even if
> it's well done. The humble existence of <small> will make "developers"
> use the element for presentational purposes.

defined and cover use cases that aren't covered by any other elements at
the moment, so I don't think we should drop them.

USING THE <U> ELEMENT INSTEAD

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> FWIW, I've already suggested dropping m and repurposing u for the use
> case.

I think the arguments put forth above against reusing <u> are pretty
convincing.

USING THE <EM> ELEMENT INSTEAD

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> <em> is for emphasis, <m> is not.  They have very different meanings.
>
> [<mark> doesn't change the meaning of the text], whereas <em> does
> change the meaning of the text.

[I haven't quoted the subthread where this was further explained.]

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Leons Petrazickis wrote:

> > to be placed by somebody or something other than the author of the
> > original text.
>
> This distinction may be too fine for people to follow. It's reminiscent
> of the rev VS rel distinction, which few people grasped.

I think the arguments here arguing that there are clear differences
between <em> and <mark> are convincing, enough to at least continue with
the two semantics separate for now.

I've included an example of how <mark> and <em> differ, and others based
on the suggestions quoted above.

USING THE <STRONG> ELEMENT INSTEAD

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Jonathan Worent wrote:

> No the *meaning" is that the content is important. [...]
>
> By drawing attention to something you indicating that it is important.

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, David Latapie wrote:

> How does it differ from "important"?

I've included an example showing the distinction between importance
(<strong>) and marking for relevance or critique (<mark>).

USING A PREDEFINED CLASS INSTEAD

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007, Sarven Capadisli quoted [heavily edited and reordered]:

> <csarven> in that sense, why not `span` with a class?
>
> <zcorpan> span with a class is longer to type :)
>
> <csarven> the 'text' though has no extra meaning. `m` seems to handle a
> presentational issue. like i was wondering, why not `span` with a class
> which can cover numerous cases similar to highlighting
>
> <csarven> as opposed to a predefined class name 'marked' that does just
> [whatever <mark> would do]?

> except that the former is shorter
>
> <csarven> but thats introducing a new element for a very narrow usage
> especially where it has no extra meaning. given the idea that the
> reading of the marked text is no different then any other text on the
> page, i fail to see why a new element is necessary where `span` with a
> class can handle this scenario. i also can't come to terms with a new
> element being introduced because `span` with a class is too long in
> comparison to `m`. :)

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, Keryx Web wrote:

> The only current element that can be used instead of <m> is <span>, like
> in <span class="highlight">, <span class="ambigous"> or <span
> class="searchresult">
>
> I think that is good enough. We do not need need the <m> element.

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, Michel Fortin replied to Jorgen's feedback above:

> That's not a bad idea, especially since the biggest use-case for <m>
> seems to be for programatically-inserted highlighting of search terms,
> something that involves absolutely no manual typing and gets little
> benefit from a short element name.
>
>    <strong class="highlight">Big brother</strong> is watching.
> or
>    <strong class="search-result">Big brother</strong> is watching.
>
> And since the current specification has predefined class names, it could
> simply be added as one.

Since we've removed the predefined class names after receiving
overwhelming feedback against them, I'd rather not go this route.

FEEDBACK IN FAVOUR OF THE ELEMENT OR GIVING USE CASES

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, ROBO Design wrote:

> The <m> element is a really good idea. Up until now developers used
> in the page.

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007, Sarven Capadisli quoted [edited and reordered]:

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, Jens Brueckmann wrote:

> Sure they do, as do headings, and images.
>
> But the purpose is different. Whereas headings, objects, emphasis etc.
> are usually an integral and static part of a document, the
> M/MARK/HI/FLAG/ATTN elements may change.

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, Jens Brueckmann replied:

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Highlighting with a yellow highlighter, underlinging, circling or
> drawing arrow are all different forms of marking, and could all be
> marked up using the <m> element.  It is not restricted to just
> highlighting, though it may be the default presentation.

I've tried to convey the above use cases and examples in the spec.

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, James Graham wrote:

> Since it is designed as an annotation to a page rather than a part of
> the markup, I don't think that it would show up in such a study.
>
> I believe the element was introduced on the basis that there are lots of
> pages that perform some kind of highlighting, especially of others'
> content e.g. Google [1] and Yahoo[2] both use this on their cache pages,
> cam.ac.uk use it on their search pages [3] (as I suspect do any other
> ultraseek based searches) and popular browser addons seem to offer this
> functionality e.g. [4]. I certainly agree that there are sufficient real
> world examples of the proposed semantics to make this element worth
> consideration. Presumably the benefits of a specific element would
> include a better accessibility story and CSS-based customisation of the
> highlighting style.
>
> [1] http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:rL_bO-_wkrIJ:www.surtell.com/projects_code_google_highlighting.asp+google+highlighting&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3
> [2] http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?p=highlighting&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8&vc=&fp_ip=UK&u=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntax_highlighting&w=highlighting&d=RO_V2-xsOTfc&icp=1&.intl=us
> [3] http://web-search.cam.ac.uk/query.html?qt=xray
> [4] http://help.msn.com/resources/targeted/en-US/msnsearchtoolbar_v1/content/SEARCHTBAR_PROC_UseHLV.htm

As James says, there are a number of uses of this element. I think most
uses of them seem to use the "style" attribute directly, which wouldn't
show up, and which, ironically, means it would be even better to provide
an alternative element with specialised UI (if they use it).

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Michel Fortin wrote:

> Suggestion of an improvement to the spec:
>
> "The m element represents a run of text marked or highlighted for
> reference purposes."
>
> I think adding "for reference purposes" to the current definition helps
> distinguish it from importance (given by <strong>) or stress emphasis
> (given by <em>).
>
> <em>     : stress emphasis (changes the meaning)
> <strong> : importance (no change in meaning)
> <m>      : reference marker (no change in meaning or importance)

I've added the "for reference purposes" bit to the definition.

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Alexey Feldgendler wrote:

> IMO this is exactly the use case for <m>.

I've added an example with this.

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, Jorgen Horstink continued:

> Secondly, attention which is caused by a visual, aural or shortcut clue
> sounds like presentational markup to me.

Something is presentational or media-specific if it has only one
presentation -- if it has so many different options, it's not
presentational, almost by definition. :-)

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Leons Petrazickis wrote:

> One example would be the highlighting of terms in Google Cache:
> <http://209.85.165.104/
> search?q=cache:q_G8YP3E4WwJ:www.worldprimatesafaris.com/+primate+england+madagascar&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&client=opera>
>
> This is Google's current syntax: <b
> style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">Primate</b>
>
> They are marking the search terms with a highlighter. In an aural
> browser, would these terms be read differently? Perhaps. Does this
> transfer to mobile browsers? Very definitely.
>
> In the Western world, the standard for highlighting is a neon yellow
> <highlite>, <highlight>). People don't necessarily mark text much -- if
> anything, "mark" implies underlining, circling, and drawing arrows --
> but they do highlight. In university, I often saw students perched with
> their notes and a highlighter, marking important sections. The semantic
> meaning is to draw attention for later review.
>
> The default styling of <hi> would be a neon yellow background. Google's
> choice of #ffff66 could well be suitable.

I've added an issue marker saying the rendering section should say this.

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Martin Atkins wrote:

> The first thing I tend to do when I load up a Google Cache result is do
> an inline find for one of my search keywords or manually scan the page
> for the yellow text. Some keyboard shortcuts or on-screen buttons for
> skipping back and forth between highlights would be nice.
>
> I can't think of any use-cases for highlighting where this navigation
> aid *wouldn't* be useful. After all, the purpose of highlighting is to
> help your eyes locate important information more quickly; when you
> express it with markup, it can help your browser to help your eyes
> locate important information more quickly in a document that doesn't all
> fit on-screen at once.
>
> As for aural browsers, they too can implement the above navigation aid,
> but allow the user to have the surrounding context read as well so that
> it actually makes some sense, thus avoiding reading the entire document
> just to locate the highlighted text.

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, David Latapie wrote:

> Now this is something I didn't think about when saying "this is just
> like <em>/<strong>". Worth considering.

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Alexey Feldgendler wrote:

> 1. Offer navigation (next/previous) amonng highlighted regions in the
> document. (Probably only amongh <hi> sharing the same class.)
>
> 2. Turn highligting on/off. Google currently implements it thorough page
> reload (serves a version without highligting), but this could be done
> client-side.

I've added an issue marker suggesting this UI be added to the rendering
secton suggestions.

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Nicholas Shanks wrote:

> I don't think it would be confusing *provided* it was listed next to
> <ins> and <del> on all those "Learn HTML5 in 24 Hours"
> sites/books/specifications that people will actually learn about it
> from. Doing this would allow 99% of such people to ignore it like they
> currently ignore <ins> and <del>, and therefore won't confuse anyone.

I'm not sure it really belongs in the "Edits" section. There are more use
cases to this element than edits.

ON THE ELEMENT'S NAME

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> I strongly disagree.  I think it should remain as <m> or, if people
> really object to using a single letter name (though I don't understand
> why), then <mark> (or similar) would be acceptable.

I've renamed the element <mark>, based on the above feedback.