[whatwg] Thoughts on HTML 5

html at nczonline.net html at nczonline.net
Thu Feb 28 11:31:08 PST 2008

Screen readers currently ignore elements with styles of display:none and visibility:hidden. In order to hide elements from the screen but allow screen readers to see them, we typically use tricks such as text-indent:-10000 and such.

I would like something to indicate that text should not be rendered by the UA but still remain accessible. Content that should be available to screen readers but not have a visual representation is, in fact, relevant. It's relevant in that it gives additional information to non-sighted users that is probably visually indicated to those who can see.

If accessibility is the point of the "irrelevant" attribute, then it fails.

-Nicholas