[whatwg] scope attribute on td

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Jan 26 16:14:30 PST 2008

Simon Pieters wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 19:59:29 +0100, Jean-Nicolas Boulay Desjardins
> <jnbdzjnbdz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The scope attribute was created to tell a screen reader to read a
>> table in a
>> certain way...
>>
>> But now it has been remove from the spec.
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-html5-diff-20080122/#absent-attributes
>
> It is still present for <th>.
>

> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/section-tabular.html#the-th

FWIW the HTML 4 behavior which turns a <td scope="somthing"> into a
heading from the point of view of the UA is, in principle, useful since
there are cases (particularly for row headings) where one cell is
effectively both data and a heading but the formatting should be
data-like rather than heading like. However I strongly doubt this is
actually used enough in practice to make it worthwhile; [1] shows very
few pages using it and a random selection of those I checked seemed to
be using it unnecessarily or incorrectly. In any case, it is only a
convenience, one could argue that a purer approach is to mark up
anything that a UA should regard as a heading as <th> and then change
the style as required.
> Research and experimental implementation is being done currently with
> regards to table heading/cell associations in order to come up with an
> algorithm that makes UAs and ATs work better with the current Web and
> that hopefully makes it easier for authors to create tables that are
> accessible out of the box so authors don't have to jump through hoops
> in order to make their tables usable for people with ATs.
On the subject of which, does anyone have a strong opinion on how
scope="colgroup" and scope="rowgroup" ought to work? For example, in the
following table, assuming the header is scope="rowgroup", the direction
is ltr, and there is only one rowgroup, which cells should it apply to:

| Cell 1 |  Cell 2  | Cell 3 |
| Cell 4 | Header 1 | Cell 5 |
| Cell 6 |  Cell 7  | Cell 8 |

What about cases where the scope is colgroup and the header trails into
parts of multiple colgroups

|         colgroup 1       |         colgroup 2       |
| Cell 1 | Cell 2 |   Heading 1     | Cell 4 | Cell 5 |
| Cell 6 | Cell 7 | Cell 8 | Cell 9 | Cell 10| Cell 11|

These seem kindof like unimportant edge cases to me, but it seems like
these scope values are only going to be useful in uncommon situations,
so I guess someone might have a use case for one behavior over another...

[1]
http://canvex.lazyilluminati.com/survey/2007-07-17/analyse.cgi/tagattr/td/scope