[whatwg] A comment to character encoding declaration

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Wed Mar 19 08:45:54 PDT 2008

On Mar 7, 2008, at 10:12, Jjgod Jiang wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:
>>  In my testing, it appears that IE 7 and Firefox 2 do treat GBK as
>> an equivalent of GB2312, but this cannot be said about GB18030. In
>> particular, 0x80 and 0xA2E3 are treated differently.
>
> Yep, I missed that point in my previous post, my fault. Yes, they
> should be treated differently. So I guess my request should be changed
> to only treat GB2312 as GBK.

According to source code[1], WebKit trunk also changes GB_2312-80 to
GBK. Gecko aliases gb_2312-80 to GB2312 (due to FrontPage output
according to source comment).

Also, WebKit changes KS_C_5601-1987 and EUC-KR to windows-949-2000.
Gecko aliases[2] KS_C_5601-1987 to x-windows-949 (due to FrontPage
output according to source comment). However, Gecko doesn't use its
alias mechanism to alias EUC-KR to windows-949. I haven't tested if
EUC-KR is treated equivalently to windows-949 by other means.

Yet another weird alias tidbit supported both by Gecko and WebKit
source as well as Googling the subject:
Looks like x-x-big5 needs to be an alias for Big5 due to FrontPage
output.

[1] http://trac.webkit.org/projects/webkit/browser/trunk/WebCore/platform/text/TextCodecICU.cpp#L90
[2] http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/intl/uconv/src/charsetalias.properties#335
--