[whatwg] ARIA

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 7 01:56:33 PST 2008

Aaron Leventhal wrote:
> James Graham wrote:
>> Dave Hodder wrote:
>>> The current HTML 5 draft doesn't mention ARIA anywhere.  Perhaps it
>>> should clarify the relationship (or non-relationship as it is at
>>> present), even if it's only a brief mention in section 1.1.
>>
>> Unfortunately a brief mention is insufficient as aria functionality
>> overlaps substantially with HTML functionality and so processing
>> requirements for aria-in-html need to be carefully considered (so we can
>> answer questions like "how does <div aria-role='heading'> affect the
>> outline algorithm"). This has not yet happened.
>>

> Okay, so I can speak to this. I developed first browser implementation
> of ARIA -- the one in Firefox.
>
> ARIA doesn't really overlap with HTML, because ARIA only reports what a
> JS developer is using elements for.
> So ARIA semantics should not affect  behavior. Any code for dealing with
> ARIA markup should be strictly in the accessibility API support code
> (MSAA/IAccessible2/ATK/AT-SPI/UI Automation/Universal Access).

This seems like a poor idea from the point of view of authors actually
using the markup correctly as they will have to use special
accessibility-API aware tools to inspect the effects of their aria-* markup.

> A div need not affect the outline algorithm, etc. any more than a div does.
> Thus it should not be complicated to mention ARIA in the spec.

So, given markup like:

<section>
<h1>foo</h1>
</section>

would AT questioned on what the headings and subheadings of the
<section> are  report on the <h1> alone (as specified by the current
outline algorithm)?

Similarly, if I have a table like:

would AT report the cell headings for B as 2, not 1, despite the
aria-describedby attribute?

If the aria-* attributes overrule the HTML-native algorithms then aria
creates an odd (and IMHO unpleasant) situation in which a document's
semantics depend on the type of client being used to view it.

What's the easiest way to test existing aria implementations on
Mac/Linux (I don't have access to a Windows box)?

--
"Mixed up signals
Bullet train