[whatwg] ARIA

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 7 06:11:52 PST 2008

Aaron Leventhal wrote:

> On the other hand for the "landmark" roles which specify semantics but
> not behavior, I would agree that sticking with HTML elements is a better
> approach. Even if there is associated behavior for them, such as a
> hotkey, they will degrade well to older user agents.

OK, but we still need to specify what happens when they are used. To take the
aria-role="heading" example again, I believe it's a requirement that a page that
uses that has the same outline structure when viewed using a tool that uses an
accessibility API as it does when viewed through a tool that accesses the DOM
directly.