[whatwg] [HTML5] Accessibility question

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis bhawkeslewis at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 17 14:48:49 PDT 2008

Dave Oneal wrote:
> I think the question is justified. It's the same as with the noscript
> tag. Depending on the javascript support, you'll see EITHER the contents
> of the script tag OR the contents of the noscript tag. Imagine you've
> got a highly interactive ajax application with drag and drop and
> everything else. I would like to place this "multimedia" (where
> multimedia doesn't necessary mean audio/video) content into a <view> tag
> and a more accessible version into a <noview> tag.
>
> So it's not only about hiding extra accessibilty information from the
> screen, but also about hiding interactvie/... information from the
> screenreader/...

I think it's a mistake to assume a "accessible" or
"screen-reader-friendly" view should be non-interactive.

In so far as this is true at all, it's largely a result of web
interactivity depending on non-standard widgets. AFAICT, this is one of
the problems HTML5 tries to solve.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis