[whatwg] NULL characters in manifests

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Fri Mar 21 13:49:07 PDT 2008

> The user agent must decode the bytestream corresponding with the
> manifest to be parsed, treating it as UTF-8. Bytes or sequences of
> bytes that are not valid UTF-8 sequences must be interpreted as a U
> +FFFD REPLACEMENT CHARACTER. All U+0000 NULL characters must be
> replaced by U+FFFD REPLACEMENT CHARACTERs

   The requirement to replace NULL characters with U+FFFD appears to
be non-verifiable, as the effect of preserving NULLs is the same (an
URL is treated as invalid).

   I think it would be better to omit this requirement, as it is just
a disguised and somewhat misguiding warning about the perils of NULLs
in strings (usually in C-style strings). At least for WebKit, I expect
that it would be safer and easier to avoid such problems without
introducing a new decoder mode just for manifests.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov