[whatwg] Tagcloud semantics

Kristof Zelechovski giecrilj at stegny.2a.pl
Wed Oct 8 00:55:55 PDT 2008

How would you style EM[weight]?
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: whatwg-bounces at lists.whatwg.org
[mailto:whatwg-bounces at lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of Nils Dagsson Moskopp
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 6:00 AM
To: whatwg
Subject: [whatwg] Tagcloud semantics

Hello,

I was wondering what markup one could use for tag clouds and similar
ways to convey different importance of marked up content. Current
popular markup involves nested <em> elements, which strikes me as kinda
complicated and, in extreme cases hard to read.

I was thinking along the lines of a @weight attribute whose value would
range from 0 (least importance) to 1 (maximum importance) due to
normalisation (scaling according to power law). This could also used in
normal text to confer the amount of stress put into phrases - say, for a
voice client.

I'm aware that this is probably a stupid idea, but, as I said, nested
<em>s (and custom class names even more so) strike me as particularly
difficult.

Cheers,

Nils