[whatwg] Private browsing vs. Storage and Databases

Michael Nordman michaeln at google.com
Tue Apr 7 18:11:56 PDT 2009

I think a user agent has to harmonize across all manner of shared
resources being introduced to ensure a reasonable behavior is
provided.
* localstorage (and the breadth of the associated events)
* databases
* appcaches
* named shared workers

Starting with nothing, keeping it all walled-off from the 'real'
peristent data, and scrapping it all at the end of the ingocnito
session seems reasonable.

Throwing exceptions when these facilities are used would mean those
sites just couldn't be visited incognito.

Actually storing the data seems contrary to the point of incognito.