[whatwg] Exposing EventTarget to JavaScript

Alex Russell slightlyoff at google.com
Fri Apr 24 14:09:29 PDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2009, at 11:29 AM, Aaron Boodman wrote:
>
>> I like the basic idea, but I think drawing too much inspiration from
>> DOM events is a bad idea. What does it mean to "capture" a pure JS
>> event?
>
> There's really two aspects to the DOM event model. One is the basic
> addEventListner / dispatchEvent mechanism, which allows objects to have
> event listeners attached.

Something missing from this (and from Erik's original mail) is the
ability to enumerate listeners. A facility for this should probably be
added.

> The other is the bubble/capture event flow in the
> DOM tree. It can make sense for an object to be an EventTarget without
> participating in bubble/capture, because it is not part of the DOM document
> tree. An example of this is XMLHttpRequest.

Even in the XHR case, adding more than one listener is currently a
pain. Part of the goal here would be to make event dispatch across
lists of listeners as natural in JS as it is in DOM.

Regards