[whatwg] Web Storage: apparent contradiction in spec

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Tue Aug 25 16:36:34 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Brady Eidson <beidson at apple.com> wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2009, at 3:51 PM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Aaron Boodman <aa at google.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Jeremy Orlow<jorlow at chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>> Extensions are an example of an application that is less cloud-based.
>> It would be unfortunate and weird for extension developers to have to
>> worry about their storage getting tossed because the UA is running out
>> of disk space.
>

> Extensions are pretty far out of scope of the spec (at least for now),
> right?  (Within Chrome, we can of course special case this.)
>

> The current spec is about "Web Applications" of all forms, including those
> that are offline, and others that hope to break from from the *required*
> chain to the cloud.
>
> Extensions based on web technology are just one form of this.
>  Widgets/gadgets are another.  Stand alone web applications are yet another.
>  Native applications that integrate HTML for their UI are another still.
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Jens Alfke <snej at google.com> wrote:
>
>> Interesting comments. Linus and Jeremy appear to be coming at this from a
>> pure "cloud" perspective, where any important or persistent data is kept on
>> a remote server and the browser, so local storage can be treated as merely a
>> cache. That's definitely a valid position, but from my perspective, much of
>> the impetus for having local storage is to be able to support *other* application
>> models, where important data is stored locally. If browsers are free to
>> dispose HTML5 local storage without the user's informed consent, such
>> applications become dangerously unreliable.
>> For example, Linus wrote:
>>
>> User agents need to be free to garbage collect any local state. If they
>> can't then attackers (or the merely lazy) will be able to fill up the user's
>> disk. We can't expect web sites or users to do the chore of taking out the
>> garbage.
>>

>> Replace "user agent" -> "operating system" and "local state" -> "user
>> files", and you have an argument that, when the hard disk in my MacBook gets
>> too full, the OS should be free to start randomly deleting my local files to
>> make room. This would be a really bad idea.
>>

> Well, it's certainly different from what we're used to.  I'm not convinced
> it's wrong though.  The web has gotten by pretty well with such a model so
> far.
>

> But behind the scenes, developers have shoehorned their own data storage
> solutions in to place because there hasn't been a good solution in place.
>
> Why should an app that is largely about client side experience have to
> store user preferences in cookies and hope they won't be purged, or load a
> plug-in that has reliable local storage, or sync preferences over the cloud
> to a server?
>

>  Similar analogies —
>> • If the SD card in my Wii fills up, should the system automatically start
>> deleting saved games?
> [...]

I still think there are non-trivial downsides to treating local storage (and
presumable database) data as "sacred", but I guess I'm convinced that it's
the correct way to go.  I hate throwing UI at problems, but it really does
make a good deal of sense in this case.  Heuristics will still be helpful in
that we can suggest what to delete to the user, but I guess the user should
always make the final decision.

Linus, are you convinced?