[whatwg] api for fullscreen()

Michael Dale dale at ucsc.edu
Wed Dec 16 14:02:42 PST 2009

It would be really nice if the html5 spec supported a javascript call to
set a target window to fullscreen. The browser would then issue a
security warning at the top of the page (similar to pop-ups) and then
the user could grant that domain permission to go full-screen.

This is especially useful for video tag interfaces. For example we could
expose a themed full-screen button in the player that is the equivalent
of hitting f11 in Firefox. The video element container could be set to
width:100% height:100% in the target window retaining support for
javascript driven DOM overlays like timed text, temporal click spaces,
site themed specific video controls sliding in at the bottom when the
user moves the mouse, exiting full screen on

This is distinct from the browser providing a full-screen on the video
element because we retain DOM overlays and javascript bindings, allowing
sites to theme and customize the full-player experience.

To reiterate this is a separates spec request from the full-screen
support for video element rather it just applies to exposing a
permission system for JavaScript to control a browser "window" being
full screen.

--michael