[whatwg] window.print() when printing is not supported

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 28 09:07:46 PST 2009

On 12/28/09 8:31 AM, Markus Ernst wrote:
> printer-unfriendly way, such as using frames or a table layout, lacking
> a printer stylesheet. Often the in-page print button just opens a
> printer-friendly version of the page, without even invoking the print()
> method.

The most common print button I run into is on airline web sites (for
printing boarding passes).  Of those, the ones I've looked into seem to
be using frames and the print button just calls window.print() on the
right frame.  That frame is already printer-friendly enough.

Come to think of it, airline boarding passes are the only case in which
I print things from the web using either print buttons or the browser's
"print" functionality.  Are there other common printing use cases?  What
are they?

-Boris