[whatwg] embedding meta data for copy/paste usages - possible use case for RDF-in-HTML?

Calogero Alex Baldacchino alex.baldacchino at email.it
Tue Feb 3 19:17:59 PST 2009

Hallvord R M Steen ha scritto:

>> HTML5 already contains elements that can be used to help obtain this
>> information, such as the <title>, <article> and it's associated heading <h1>
>> to <h6> and <time>.  Obtaining author names might be a little more
>> difficult, though perhaps hCard might help.
>>

> Indeed. And it's not an either-or counter-suggestion to my proposal,
> UAs could fall back to extracting such data if more structured meta
> data is not available.

I think that's a counter-suggestion, instead. If UAs can gather enough
informations from existing markup, they don't need to support further
metadata processing; if authors can put enough informations in a page
within existing markup (or markup being introduced in current
specification), they don't need to learn and use additional metadata to
repeat the same informations. It seems that any additional
metadata-related markup would add complexity to UAs (requiring support)
but not advantages (with respect to existing solutions) in this case.

Therefore, the question moves to the format to use to move such infos to
the clipboard, which is a different concern than embedding metadata in a
page. Also, different use cases should lead to different formats (with
different kind of informations taken apart in different clipboard
entries, or binded in a sort of multipart envelop to be serialized in
just one entry), because a generic format, addressing a lot of use
cases, could seem overengineered to developers dealing with a specific
use case, thus a specific format could gain support in other
applications more easily --- third parties developers could find easier
and more consistent to get access to the right infos in the right
format, either by looking for a specific entry (if supported by the OS),
or by parsing a few headers in a multipart entry looking for an offset
associated with a mime-type (which would work without requiring support
by OS's, but an OS could provide facilities to directly access to a
proper section anyway; however, any support for multiple kinds of infos
should be in scope for the OS clipbord API and/or the UA, not for a
specific application requiring specific data - and, given the above,
that should not be in scope for HTML5).

>>> If I copy the name of one of my Facebook "friends" and paste it into
>>> my OS address book, it would be cool if the contact information was
>>> imported automatically. Or maybe I pasted it in my webmail's address
>>> book feature, and the same import operation happened..
>>>
>> I believe this problem is adequately addressed by the hCard microformat and
>> various browser extensions that are available for some browsers, like
>> Firefox.  The solution doesn't need to involve a copy and paste operation.
>>  It just needs a way to select contact info on the page and export it to an
>> address book.
>>

> This is way more complicated for most users. Your last sentence IMO is
> not an appropriate way to use the word "just", seeing that you need to
> find and invoke an "export" command, handle files, find and invoke an
> "import" command and clear out the duplicated entries.. This is
> impossible for several users I can think of, and even for techies like
> us doing so repeatedly will eventually be a chore (even if we CAN, it
> doesn't mean that's the way we SHOULD be working).

It can be improved, but it's the _best_ way to do that, and should be
replicated in the "copy-and-paste" architecture you're proposing.
Please, consider a basic usability principle says users should be able
to understand what's going on basing on previous experience (that is, an
interface have to be predictable); but users aren't confident with
copying and pasting something different than text (in general), thus a
UA should distinguish among a bare "copy" option, and more specific
actions (such as "copy as quotation", "copy contact info", and so on),
and related paste options (as needed), so that users can understand and
choose what they want to do.

On the other hand, the same should happen in a recipient application,
especially if providing support for different kinds of info; if either a
UA or a recipient application (or both) provided a simple copy and a
simple paste option (or fewer options than supported, basing on metadata
or common markup) it could be confusing for users, nor should
applications use metadata to choose what to do, because the user could
just want to copy and paste some text (or do something else, but he
knows what, so he must be free to choose it).

That is, what you're proposing is mainly addressed by moving around
import/export features to put them into a context menu and making them
work on a selection of text (not eliminating and substituting them with
a "simpler" copy-paste architecture), then requiring support by other
applications and eventually by the operative system, which is definetly
out-of-scope for any web-related standards (we can constrain web-related
applications to improve their interoperability with respect to
web-related features, not generic client-only applications and/or
operative systems to create a "brand-new" interaction and
interoperability - and UA implementors wouldn't be happy to implement
something they know to be incompatible with existing platforms).

> Besides, it doesn't really address the "copy ONE contact's
> information" use case well.

Assuming social-networks service provider wanted to support it, I think
the best way to accomplish this case is to take metadata modelling a
contact info in a separate, non-html file, so to provide a better
control on sensible data and enforce privacy, and to expose it as a
linked resource, accessible with proper rights (and modified server-side
according to lower- or heigher-level rights). For instance, a nickname
in a page could be part of an anchor pointing to a homepage, with an
associated context menu linking to exportable metadata. This would work
in about every UAs: a compliant one could recognize the metadata format
while fetching it (eg through its headers, or sniffing its content),
copy it to the clipboard in an appropriate manner, and notify it to the
user, or activate a proper plugin associated with a proper mime-type (or
just ask the user what to do); a non-compliant one could just show it as
plain text, that users could copy and paste as serialized metadata in an
application supporting such a format, which could fit the purpose very
well and thus be largely supported as a contact info interchange format
(a plugin associated to a mime-type would work in this case too, as well
as telling the user what to do - save locally, open with an external
application, convert to something else if possible, and so on).

>>> If I select an E-mail in my webmail and copy it, it would be awesome
>>> if my desktop mail client would just import the full E-mail with
>>> complete headers and different parts if I just switch to the mail
>>> client app and paste.
>>>
>> Couldn't this be solved by the web mail server providing an export feature
>> which let the user download the email as an .eml file and open it with their
>> mail client?
>>

> Of course, that or POP/IMAP access is the way things currently work.
>

>> Again, I don't believe the solution to this requires a copy
>> and paste operation.
>>

> ..but I think it would be more intuitive and user friendly if
> something like that worked. (Or drag-and-drop an E-mail from the
> webmail to the desktop client/file system/other webmail, which is
> basically the same thing).

I think that drag-and-drop would work better in this case, and without
necessarily requiring a clipboard mechanism (that is, differently from a
copy-and-paste operation).

For instance, a webmail interface could provide a link (named ".eml
version" or "get a copy" or "save locally" or the alike) to an eml file
(that is, to the mail entry in a server database dynamically extracted
and served with proper headers when queried -- this is yet done,
somehow, by some webmails). Given that, a user would have two choices:

1) Just follow the link, so that his UA would recognize a non-html
document and,

* open it through a plugin;
* open it through an external program;
* ask the user what to do, whithin the option to save the file locally;

this is consistent with other similar operations users are confident
with (such as opening a pdf file), and doesn't require any particular
further support, neither from the UA, nor from the OS, nor from the
recipient application. Of course, the user could also right click the
link and select "save as" (or "save target as", or whatever else it is
labeled).

2) Drag-and-drop the link to the desktop, or to another application, so
that either a symlink (or an "internet shortcut" or whatever else it is
called) or a .eml file (to avoid authentication issues) is created (on
the desktop, or in a temporary folder, as needed). This can work quite
fine when dragging to the desktop (it should create a symlink in most
platforms), and require a little more support to create a .eml file
(this is yet possible on some platforms always asking what to do with a
dragged 'object') and/or to improve direct drag-and-drop between
applications (actually it may not work or produce the same effect as
copying and pasting the resource address).

In the latter case (direct drag-and-drop), recipient applications could
recognize the dragged text as a URI and try and open it the same way
they open a local file and follow a symbolic link, thus reducing
requirements for OS support; authentication issues could be solved by
supporting http authentication (or a form-based challange) either in a
library used by recipient applications, or even in a system library
(freely implemented by an OS, without any explicit requirement), which
could be an improvement for generic resources location and access
(specially when dealing with symlinks), therefore possibly useful in
other contexts than just enhancing the interoperability between a
browser and other applications, and therefore more likely to be implemented.

The overall mechanism (normal link to a resource + normal/little
improved drag-and-drop of the link) should work very fine in most
platforms and fall back gracefully in other ones, both because in part
it works fine as is, and in part it would require, globally, fewer work
to support it than to support a copy-and-paste mechanism based on
metadata (or an effort which could be useful in different contexts than
just a rich copy-and-paste between applications, whereas it is
out-of-scope for html5, and will remain such until some experimentations
will have been made on some platforms by some UA and non-UA applications).

On the other hand, a copy-and-paste mechanism (working as if saving a
.eml file, or just putting metadata into the clipboard) would reduce or
eliminate authentication issues (though constraining a strong OS
support, which is a hard goal for a web standard), but I think that's
less usable, all things considered. Let's consider the case of a message
containing a big attachment, such as a pdf file, which is never
immediately downloaded by any webmails and IMAP clients: a UA could hang
over while downloading it as the result of a copy operation, blocking
the following paste (if not the whole OS clipboard, if locked -- not
doing so could cause a wrong paste by a user not caring that his browser
is still working and trying to paste something immediately hence, as
usually possible). I think that an immediate drag-and-drop, with the
recipient application (eventually a window manager) handling the
download is a better solution (after all, that's what usually happens
when opening a big file from a slow source).

WBR, Alex

 Sponsor:
 Blu American Express: gratuita a vita!
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=8614&d=4-2