[whatwg] Two feature-suggestions for HTML5 (forms)

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Jul 1 22:16:52 PDT 2009

(Trimmed cc list to reduce cross-posting.)

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, Asser Nilsson wrote:

> There are two things in HTML5-forms that are often made with "Active"
> Technology like JavaScript, that would be very cool, if HTML5 could do
> these things without Scripting:
>
> 1. I've seen this at the online-dictionary dict.leo.org: they made a
> JavaScript-function, that you can type the word to translate without the
> text-box marked an the characters get in there. So, you don't have to
> mark the right textbox before you type, but you can type, no matter to
> look, if the box is marked. I think it would be a very nice feature for
> HTML5-forms if this would work without Scripting... E.g. an option for
> text-fields, that everythins typed on this site is typed into this field
> (even if it is not highlighted).

This isn't really done on enough sites to warrant built-in support, I
don't think.

> 2. In search-boxes Javascript often is used for send every written
> character to the server and the server return search-suggestions
> "as-you-type". If this is possible without Scripting only with HTML/CSS
> this would be very cool.

This was possible in a previous incarnation of HTML5, but we removed
support because it wasn't an especially popular feature, and it turns out
to have some pretty subtle complications.