[whatwg] Adding SVG Filter-like functionality to Canvas 2D Context

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Mon Jul 6 18:01:23 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Hans Schmucker <hansschmucker at gmail.com>wrote:

> I simply think that when using SVG filters, we are much more likely to
> add a lot of these "border-cases" where browsers behave subtly
> different. We already have that problem with SVG in general and it's
> really holding SVG back.

Whatever those issues are that you're referring to, they need to be fixed in
SVG already. Creating a new set of "well-defined" behaviours in <canvas> can
only add more work. If the new "well-defined" behaviours fail to match the
behaviour SVG requires, then the situation will be even worse.

(I'd actually like to know what all these SVG filter "border-cases" are.
I've discovered a few spec issues and reported them to the SVG list, but not
too many. There are certainly browser bugs in some cases, but any new
proposal will have browser bugs too.)

A lot of functionality offered by SVG filters is
> either already included elsewhere in the Canvas spec or simply not
> relevant.

Like what?

Rob
53:5-6]