[whatwg] H.264-in-<video> vs plugin APIs

Chris DiBona cdibona at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 05:00:36 PDT 2009

Comparing Daily Motion to Youtube is disingenuous. If yt were to
switch to theora and maintain even a semblance of the current youtube
quality it would take up most available bandwidth across the internet.
The most recent public number was just over 1 billion video streams a
day, and I've seen what we've had to do to make that happen, and it is
a staggering amount of bandwidth. Dailymotion is a fine site, but
they're just not Youtube.

Considering this 'argument'  came out of the larger issue that we're
actually shipping with Theora (also on android, too), and as we showed
at Google I/O, are sampling it on some pages at Youtube, this thread
is pretty surreal to me. I will say that the best thing that can
happen to Theora recently was firefox's support of it, though, but
even better would be substantive codec improvements or some great
advance in Dirac encoding efficiency. .

Chris

--
Open Source Programs Manager, Google Inc.
Google's Open Source program can be found at http://code.google.com