[whatwg] Proposal for enhancing postMessage

Drew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Wed Mar 11 14:30:03 PDT 2009

Mark, I won't pretend to completely understand the use cases you're
describing as I'm not familiar with the prior work you've cited. But my
understanding of the postMessage() API is that they are primarily useful for
handing off ports to new owners - your idea of a pass-by-copy serialization
of a proxy object implies that there's some way to copy the message port,
and pass that along with the proxy to the new owner, which I don't think is
possible in general (you can create a new port as part of a MessageChannel,
but you can't really duplicate an existing port).

I may be misunderstanding the use case that's driving your proposal, though.

-atw