[whatwg] Web Addresses vs Legacy Extended IRI

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sat Mar 21 23:29:57 PDT 2009

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009, Giovanni Campagna wrote:

> Now I would like to ask:
> are there any major differences that requires the W3C / WHATWG to
> publish an other specification, just for HTML5, instead of just
> referencing the IRI-bis draft or the LEIRI working group note?

As far as I can tell the LEIRI requirements aren't actually an accurate
description of what browsers do.

Note that the Web addresses draft isn't specific to HTML5. It is intended
to apply to any user agent that interacts with Web content, not just Web
browsers and HTML. (That's why we took it out of HTML5.)