[whatwg] request for clarification: aside, figure

Bruce Lawson brucel at opera.com
Sun May 10 00:58:47 PDT 2009

I don't think the spec is clear enough defining these two elements from an
author's perspective.

"The aside element represents a section of a page that consists of content
that is tangentially related to the content around the aside element, and
which could be considered separate from that content."

"The figure element represents some flow content, optionally with a
caption, which can be moved away from the main flow of the document
without affecting the document's meaning.

What is the difference between a <figure> that has no caption and an
<aside>? Both seem to be connected in some way with the main content
around it, but can be considered separate/ may be moved.

Common-sense suggests that a figure is usually an  illustration/ diagram/
picture, but doesn't have to be (the spec gives an example of the poem
Jabberwocky marked up as a figure).

So If I have a magazine-style pullquote, is that a figure or an aside (or
neither)?

For example, in the middle of a fictional interview about markup, I might
want to pull out a quote and citation: Do I write

<aside>
Week</blockquote>
<cite>Ian Hickson</cite>
</aside>