[whatwg] Delaying the media load event

Matthew Gregan kinetik at flim.org
Wed May 27 06:08:11 PDT 2009

At 2009-05-27T14:21:53+0200, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2009 14:16:46 +0200, Matthew Gregan <kinetik at flim.org> wrote:
> > For a media element, the load event may fire before loadedmetadata and
> > loadeddata.  So load does not mean that it's possible to paint into a
> > canvas yet.
>
> Where did you read that? As far as I can tell it is not fired until the
> selected resource is completely loaded. I.e. as step 4 of the "resource
> fetch algorithm".

You're right, thanks.  Apologies for the noise.

In summary, the valid media substep within step 3 of the resource fetch
algorithm must complete before step 4, where load is fired.  That substep
covers loadedmetadata and loadeddata firing, so the ordering of the three
events is required to be: loadedmetadata, loadeddata, load.

Cheers,
-mjg
--
Matthew Gregan                     |/