[whatwg] localStorage mutex - a solution?

Rob Ennals rob.ennals at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 17:36:50 PST 2009

You are /partly/ correct.

The intention behind this proposal is to have a spec that matches what
implementations do (or that we can reasonably expect that they will
do, given minor effort), so that users know what idioms will work.

It isn't just a matter of PR for implementors. If the spec says that
certain idioms work, but those idioms actually fail for all real
implementations, then that is bad.

Moreover, given the problems with the storage mutex as currently
specified, some browsers don't currently implement it at all - which
is really bad. This proposal makes the storage mutex easy enough to
implement that it would hopefully be more widely implemented -
although in a weaker manner.

-Rob