[whatwg] Feature requests in WebSocket (Was: BWTP for WebSocket transfer protocol)

Wenbo Zhu wenboz at google.com
Fri Sep 4 16:50:23 PDT 2009

While the concerns on the server-side are overstated, the analogy to http is
also questionable ... The current protocol, being a *scoket* layer protocol,
is in principle different than http, which is strictly a L7 RPC protocol.
Is there any fundamental limitation for different UI components to share a
single websocket connection, which is just another type of shared resource,
e.g. among storage etc ..? Is the "shared worker" approach the only/ideal
solution?

As much as it seems complicated/risky for the script to implement its own
(adhoc) multiplexing, any built-in multiplexing protocol (as a L7 concern)
could also limit future applications/frameworks that we are yet to find out.

- Wenbo