[whatwg] Fakepath revisited

timeless timeless at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 21:55:31 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 5:31 AM, Biju<bijumaillist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also it wont solve all the path problem with Firefox. As many intranet
> sites expect to get user chosen network path. Which I believe IE8 is
> still providing, and Firefox is not.

OK, for this I'd like to have real data. Can you point to engineers
from real companies willing to step forward and acknowledge that their
sites really expect this behavior?

MS has not indicated that this was a problem, and since they haven't,
I think it's a reasonably safe assumption that this is not the case.

File uploads can come from anywhere, and a web application that
requires users to upload from a network path instead of a mapped
network volume is so incredibly broken that I'm perfectly willing to
let it break.

There's a difference between hardware devices which will get limited
updates if they can (the lack of fakepath means that they can't from
some web incompatible browsers) and living CMS systems which will
eventually have to work with IE8. The latter will eventually evolve to
let people enter network paths by hand, maybe they'll even get cute
and use a server credential to try to retrieve and preview the data
specified by the user.