[whatwg] HTML5 (including next generation additions still in development) - Mozilla Firefox (Not Responding)

Garrett Smith dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 07:31:11 PDT 2010

On 8/11/10, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:
> On 8/11/10 3:49 AM, Garrett Smith wrote:
>> I'm running Firefox 3.6.4 on windows 7
>
> Which has a known performance bug with a particular reasonably rare
> class of DOM mutations.  The only way for the spec to avoid performing
> such mutations is to not add the annotation boxes (which is what it will
> do if you ask it not to load them) or to embed them in the HTML itself
> instead of adding them dynamically.  Or to make them overflow:visible,
> of course...
>
>>> I've tried to tweak the scripts to not be quite as silly in the way they
>>> split up the work (in particular, now they won't split up the work if
>>> it's
>>> being done fast -- in browsers I tested, this reduced the problem just to
>>> the restyling being slow, in some cases taking a few seconds).
>>
>> Well its still freezing my Firefox.
>
> Ian's change doesn't affect the issue described above, which your
> Firefox still suffers from.
>
> Is this the part where I urge you to try Firefox 4 beta 3 when it comes
> out in a day or two?  ;)

It would have been more helpful to explain, if you can, the cause of
the slowness in Firefox..

I can run the debugger and step through it to see which part is taking
time and then explain that. There is a slight chance that I'll
actually do that, depending on time.

>> Looping through the dom on page load is something that is best avoided.
>
> That's not an issue here.

No. Actually it *is* an issue here; that issue is just massively
dwarfed by the other issue behind door #2.

>> Most (if not all) of this stuff seems best suite for server-side
>> logic.
>
> That's possible; I'm assuming Ian had a reason for setting it up the way
> he did.

Possible where? On w3c server or whatwg server?

[...]

Garrett