[whatwg] localStorage cache expiry

Ben Schwarz ben.schwarz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 00:57:54 PST 2010

 Hi All,

Last week I put together a small javascript library titled "cache.js", which is basically localStorage—only, with cache expiry.

https://github.com/benschwarz/cache.js

This somewhat mimics the cache expiry patterns seen elsewhere on the web, especially with key/value stores such as memcached.

I know that the question of doing this within the HTML spec has been discussed before— (http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-July/027429.html) so I figured it would be worth posting to this list.

I realise that my library doesn't expire keys until they're 'called' (read the source), but I'm happy to accept contributions or discuss API features with anyone who decides that cache.js doesn't do what they're interested in…

>From there—I'd think it to be feasible to share the findings with the whatwg/w3c in an effort to extend the current scope of localStorage/sessionStorage.

I'm looking for feedback and discussion that will aid the HTML5 storage specification, with real software as a form of user requirement, rather than imagination.

Cheers,

Ben Schwarz

--
+ germanforblack.com