[whatwg] input element list attribute and filtering suggestions

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Fri Dec 31 12:46:28 PST 2010

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:
>> Indeed. But google is fairly alone in this design. I've seen plenty of
>> other websites with dynamically populated autocomplete lists which
>> doesn't put buttons in the list itself. For example the email
>> autocomplete in bugzilla.mozilla.org.
>
> Wikipedia's new search suggestions (part of the Vector skin) don't
> include images or anything, but they do boldface the parts of the
> suggestion that match what you've typed.  They also add an extra
> option at the bottom to let you actually search for pages containing
> the term instead of just looking for title matches.  So that needs
> markup too, not just plain text.

I like the idea of bolding the matching parts of the suggestions which
match the typed string. Or at least creating a pseudo-element which
selected the matching substrings such that you could get the behavior
you want using:

input::matching-suggest {
  font-weight: bold;
}

Would be great if you could file a bug in bugzilla.mozilla.org to
implement such a feature and cc me.

That aside, I do in general agree that it would be nice to allow
markup inside <option>s. I do wonder if a lot of pages would break if
parsing was changed in such a way.

/ Jonas