[whatwg] Timed tracks for <video>

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jul 23 01:00:32 PDT 2010

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> > The WebSRT stuff itself is pretty modular, it's just two sections:
> >
> > http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete/video.html#websrt-0
> > http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete/rendering.html#timed-tracks-0
>
> That is good to know, though it's unfortunate that this has to be asked
> and isn't obvious by reading the spec.

It's _somewhat_ obvious; it's the only sections with "WebSRT" in their
name in the table of contents. :-)

Never wanting to be the one getting in the way of your happiness, though,
I hereby present you with the WebSRT sections of the HTML spec extracted
for your pleasure:

   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/websrt.html

HTH.

> > In the meantime, the main place to start right now is the syntax of
> > the WebSRT file, which is defined separate from the parser:
> >
> > http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete/video.html#syntax-0
>
> Good to know that this is on the way. I tried reading the section you
> are quoting, but it was still more work than I have feel like I have
> time for, especially given that I'm not an expert on timed text. I
> suspect I'll just end up waiting until the introductory sections are
> available.

Right-o. Shouldn't be too long. Is there anything else that would help
with any implementation work, should it prove to be implementation-worthy?
Other than a test suite, that is.