[whatwg] Adding ECMAScript 5 array extras to HTMLCollection

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jul 29 17:45:40 PDT 2010

The e-mails quoted below consist of the salient points of this thread:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, David Flanagan wrote:

> Rather that trying to make DOM collections feel like arrays, how about
> just giving them a toArray() method?  This makes it clear that a
> collection is not an array, but clearly defines a way to obtain an
> array.  Clever implementors might even be able to optimize common
> uses-cases using some kind of copy-on-write strategy so that toArray()
> doesn't involve memory allocation and copying.
>
> Of course, trying to teach programmers when they ought to call toArray()
> and when it is not necessary is another matter.  Perhaps calling the
> method snapshot() and focusing on the live vs. static distinction
> instead of the fake array vs. true array distinction would invite less
> misuse.
>
> Or we can just leave the DOM as it is and get used to calling the
> equivalent of Prototype's $A() function.

Before changing something this substantial, I'd like to have implementor
feedback regarding what the best way to address this is:

 - somehow make HTMLCollections and NodeLists inherit from Array?

 - define a bunch of feature on HTMLCollections and NodeLists so that
   they're like arrays?

 - provide a toArray() method or equivalent?

 - do nothing?

 - something else?