[whatwg] Speech input element

Olli Pettay Olli.Pettay at helsinki.fi
Tue May 18 02:19:13 PDT 2010

On 5/18/10 11:27 AM, Bjorn Bringert wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Olli Pettay<Olli.Pettay at helsinki.fi>  wrote:
>> On 5/17/10 6:55 PM, Bjorn Bringert wrote:
>>
>>> (Looks like half of the first question is missing, so I'm guessing
>>> here) If you are asking about when the web app loses focus (e.g. the
>>> user switches to a different tab or away from the browser), I think
>>> the recognition should be cancelled. I've added this to the spec.
>>>

>> Oh, where did the rest of the question go.
>>
>> I was going to ask about alert()s.
>> What happens if alert() pops up while recognition is on?
>> Which events should fire and when?
>
> Hmm, good question. I think that either the recognition should be
> cancelled, like when the web app loses focus, or it should continue
> just as if there was no alert. Are there any browser implementation
> reasons to do one or the other?

Well, the problem with alert is that the assumption (which may or may
not always hold) is that when alert() is opened, web page shouldn't run
any scripts. So should <input type="speech"> fire some events when the
recognition is canceled (if alert cancels recognition), and if yes,
when? Or if recognition is not canceled, and something is recognized
(so "input" event should be dispatched), when should the event actually
fire? The problem is pretty much the same with synchronous XMLHttpRequest.

-Olli