[whatwg] Speech input element

Satish Sampath satish at google.com
Tue May 18 02:27:29 PDT 2010

> Well, the problem with alert is that the assumption (which may or may not
> always hold) is that when alert() is opened, web page shouldn't run
> any scripts. So should <input type="speech"> fire some events when the
> recognition is canceled (if alert cancels recognition), and if yes,
> when? Or if recognition is not canceled, and something is recognized
> (so "input" event should be dispatched), when should the event actually
> fire? The problem is pretty much the same with synchronous XMLHttpRequest.

In my opinion, once the speech input element has started recording any event
which takes the user's focus away from actually speaking should ideally stop
the speech recognition. This would include switching to a new window, a new
tab or modal/alert dialogs, submitting a form or navigating to a new page in
the same tab/window.

--
Cheers
Satish