[whatwg] Speech input element

Jeremy Orlow jorlow at chromium.org
Wed May 19 02:11:58 PDT 2010

Has anyone spent any time imagining what a microphone/video-camera API that
supports the video conference use case might look like?  If so, it'd be
great to see a link.

My guess is that it's going to be much more complicated and much more
invasive security wise.  Looking at Bjorn's proposal, it seems as though it
fairly elegantly supports the use cases while avoiding the need for explicit
permission requests (i.e. infobars, modal dialogs, etc) since permission is
implicitly granted every time it's used and permission is revoked when, for
example, the window loses focus.

I'd be very excited if a WG took a serious look at
microphone/video-camera/etc, but I suspect that speech to text is enough of
a special case (in terms of how it's often implemented in hardware and in
terms of security) that it won't be possible to fold into a more general
microphone/video-camera/etc API without losing ease of use, which is pretty
central the use cases listed in Bjorn's doc.