[whatwg] On the subtitle format for HTML5

Odin Omdal Hørthe odin.omdal at gmail.com
Sun May 23 03:53:10 PDT 2010

2010/5/23 Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com>:
> I guess I'm starting to talk myself into wanting a more HTML-like
> format than WebSRT that scales to provide full features by using
> existing Web technology. I'd be curious to hear what others think...

I want to use it for slide sync information. Right now I have a
websocket that listens for the file name it wants to show (as next
image slide), but it's IMPOSSIBLE to sync video/slides with the
features that are in browsers now. Because I can't get the real
timestamp from the Ogg Theora video. Also, having that "what slide are
we on" information in the video stream is also rather nice.

If WebSRT had classes, it could be used for all sorts of things. You
would parse the incoming WebSRT-stream in javascript and use
stylesheets to build text overlays like youtube has etc. Always a
tradeoff between easy format and features. If you could optionally put
html in there to do advanced stuff that might work. With some rules
for readers that don't understand 3., just stripping all tags and
showing the result; or even have a method for saying "don't show this
if you don't support fancy stuff". I might be trying to mix this in a
bad way.

Anyway, as of now I'm just waiting for a way to tell my webapp what
slide we're on (sync with the live streaming video).

--
Beste helsing,
Odin Hørthe Omdal <odin.omdal at gmail.com>