[whatwg] need a way to set output format from StreamRecorder

Nils Dagsson Moskopp nils-dagsson-moskopp at dieweltistgarnichtso.net
Wed Nov 24 23:37:24 PST 2010

Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> schrieb am Thu, 25 Nov 2010
14:05:18 +1100:

> Can the decision for a file format be taken completely separately from
> the codec decision for the <audio> or <video> element, I wonder?

I believe the royalties for encoders are usually higher than the
royalties for decoders (where royalties apply, that is: with
proprietary standards).

Also, I doubt that any self-respecting entities opposed to the
implementation of decoders for certain royalty-free A/V formats would
include the corresponding encoders — the risk being that more content
would be created in formats that their own browsers could not render.

> My assumption is that a StreamRecorder will get video (or audio) from
> a device and it will be possible to hand it on to a <video> (or
> <audio>) element for display. Since these elements supports specific
> codecs, wouldn't that imply that the StreamRecorder needs to save it
> in those formats, too? Unless, of course, we want to introduce some
> kind of transcoding element that is plugged between a recorded stream
> and a <video> (<audio>) element.

I see your decodebin and raise you a fully self-aware media framework ;)

Cheers,
--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>