[whatwg] :invalid

Mounir Lamouri mounir.lamouri at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 15:12:24 PDT 2010

Hi,

The current specification of :invalid is pretty simple: it matches all
invalid elements which are candidate for constraint validation [1].

Today, Gecko betas, Presto and Webkit support :invalid (I didn't check
for IE). Unfortunately, :invalid is far from being perfect and most
UI/UX guys would tell you that the current :invalid behavior is really
bad. For example, having the invalid style applying as soon as you load
the page (ie. for <input required>) is not a good thing. There are few
UX rules like that that :invalid currently breaks.

So, to improve the user experience while using web forms we would like
to fix that. However, we are wondering if :invalid (and :valid?)
specifications should be updated to take UX considerations or if a new
pseudo-classe should be created. Does anyone has an opinion about that?

[1]
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/links.html#matching-html-elements-using-selectors

Thanks,
--