[whatwg] Scriptable interface for video element FullScreen mode

Gregg Tavares (wrk) gman at google.com
Wed Sep 22 17:38:20 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Shiv Kumar <skumar at exposureroom.com> wrote:

>  I’ve changed the subject of this post in the hopes that it receives the
> correct attention…
>

> As per the current spec:
>

> <quote>
>
> WARNING!
>
> User agents should not provide a public API to cause videos to be shown
> full-screen. A script, combined with a carefully crafted video file, could
> trick the user into thinking a system-modal dialog had been shown, and
> prompt the user for a password. There is also the danger of "mere"
> annoyance, with pages launching full-screen videos when links are clicked or
> pages navigated. Instead, user-agent-specific interface features may be
> provided to easily allow the user to obtain a full-screen playback mode.
>
> </quote>
>

> In order for anyone to be able to provide their own skin/player, we’ll need
> to provide a scriptable way to switch the video element to full screen and
> out including events to support the same.
>

> I know Webkit folks have provided,
> webkitEnterFullScreen/webkitExitFullScreen methods to allow this. I don’t
> believe there are any events supporting the change in state, however
>

> I think it’s important that the video element provide a scriptable way to
> do this. Internally, the UA can determine if the call was made using a user
> gesture as I believe Webkit is doing.
>

> Can we agree to change the current spec to allow for this?
>

> Shiv
>
> http://exposureroom.com

Is this proposal not good enough?
https://wiki.mozilla.org/index.php?title=Gecko:FullScreenAPI

It handles the case I think you want. I also it's also useful for other
things like HTML5 games. It's also secure or at least as secure as flash.
The browser will not go fullscreen without either a prompt or a mouse click.