[whatwg] Styling <details>

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 12:01:36 PDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela at cs.tut.fi> wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> Regardless of whether or not we agree on a common glyph to use for
>> this,  we should at least agree on the applicable CSS styles used to
>> achieve
>> the rendering, which is essential so that authors have an easier time
>> override them with their own styles.
>
> It’s far too premature to consider such things. We don’t know what are the
> feasible or optimal renderings of <details> elements. Actually, if you wish
> to make them widely understood and used, you _don’t_ want to encourage
> authors to suggest their idiosyncratic renderings. On the average, a web
> author, left alone, creates a much poorer user interface than a person
> designing a web browser – simply because the latter is some kind of a
> professional in such matters.

<details> is definitely something we want to make fully author-stylable.

>> If we use 'list-style-type', it seems reasonable to at least agree on
>> a common list-style-type value.
>
> Why should we use list-style-type for something that clearly ain’t no list?

Because it appears that the disclosure triangle wants to have the same
behavior that ::marker does.  Don't be misled by the name - all that
list-style-type does is help construct the default value for 'content'
on ::marker.  It has nothing to do with things that are semantically
lists, per se.

~TJ