[whatwg] Behavior when <script> is removed from DOM

Joshua Bell jsbell at chromium.org
Wed Dec 7 12:22:51 PST 2011

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Adam van den Hoven <adam at littlefyr.com>
> wrote:

> cross-domain

> CORS
> number
> forsee

> when

> >> Yes, that's definitely an option.
> >>
> >> It will be sort of a weird API since the security model will be sort
> >> of strange. Traditionally we say that you can't load data cross site,
> >> but that you can execute scripts cross site. Here we want something
> >> sort of in between.
> >>
> >> It could have significant advantages if it makes it easier for sites
> >> to do cross-site loading of data without exposing themselves to XSS
> >> risks.
> >>
> >> / Jonas
> >

> > If we went for a hybrid approach, namely that XHR has a cancellable way
> > call and execute some arbitrary JavaScript and sandbox the execution so
> that
> > "this" is something explicitly provided to the XHR, would we not suddenly
> > have a rather secure way to load any javascript in general (and probably
> > make things like lab.js and yepnope easier to write)? Now I can load some
> > javascript (say from some ad server) without giving it access to the
> window
> > object and the global scope, if I don't want to. Wouldn't this address
> some
> > of the security issues that Doug Crockford has brought up in the past?
>
> Yeah. This would be very cool. Proposals more than welcome, though I
> would suggest not tying it to XHR but rather have a dedicated "load
> and execute this url in this sandbox" API.
>
> Designing a sandbox API is likely a fairly large task. I believe that
> ES.next might have something to that extent but I'm not fully sure.

Yeah, the "modules" proposal for ES "harmony" is fairly similar:
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:modules

The relative bits for this thread are that a script can be loaded into a
new pristine global environment (i.e. it doesn't just get to party on
window, is shielded from any prior monkeying with Object.prototype, etc)
and decides what to export (by applying properties to its global object);
the script doing the import can decide what to pick up from from the global
object of the imported module.

This can't be implemented in JS today (e.g. as a shim) since that "evaluate
this script text in this new global sandbox" bit isn't present.