[whatwg] Remove maxWidth from fillText and strokeText

Charles Pritchard chuck at jumis.com
Sun Feb 13 12:30:07 PST 2011

Could we remove the optional maxWidth parameter from fillText and
strokeText of CanvasRenderingContext2D.
I don't see them in use anywhere, they're not widely implemented, and I
don't see them fitting any particular common purpose.

fillText("this very long strong", maxWidth) does not ensure any kind of
readability of the text.

Authors can use measureText to achieve the same effect, with more
flexibility and better exposure to the actual size
of the font that will be used. They can use clip() if they need to
ensure glyphs stay within a bounding box (something
which maxWidth does not provide, despite its intent.

-Charles