[whatwg] Fwd: RE: Inconsistent behaviour of globalCompositeOperation property - Drawing model discussion

carol.szabo at nokia.com carol.szabo at nokia.com
Tue Jan 4 15:05:30 PST 2011

If Microsoft, Opera, and Mozilla all subscribed to the current version of the spec, it looks like WebKit is the only hold out.
In the discussions that I followed, I noticed no strong arguments, other then my own (concerning resource consumption, which Robert O'Callahan aparently rejected as invalid) in favor of changing the specification such that only covered pixels are affected by compositing.

Given the statements above I no longer think that changing the spec in this regard is a good thing, but I still believe that the disappearance of shadows for the source-in and copy modes and the strange result when shadows are drawn and the composite operation is source-out should be corrected. To do this I suggested the following in my previous e-mail, but I got no comments about my suggestion so I repeat it here (please excuse my insistence):

Replace steps 3 to 6 of the drawing model, with:

3. When shadows are drawn<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-element.html#when-shadows-are-drawn>, composite B (source) with A (destination) using destination-over operation.

4. Multiply the alpha component of every pixel in A by globalAlpha<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-element.html#dom-context-2d-globalalpha>.

5. Composite A within the clipping region<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-element.html#clipping-region> over the current canvas bitmap using the current composition operator.

Please consider the proposal above.

Thanks to everyone for considering my thoughts,

Carol Szabo