[whatwg] AppCache feature request: An https manifest should be able to list resources from other https origins.

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Wed Jan 26 00:50:38 PST 2011

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:37:55 +0100, Michael Nordman <michaeln at google.com>
wrote:
> Would the public-webapps list be better for discussing appcache
> feature requests?

It's not a feature drafted in any of the WebApps WG specifications. If you
want to discuss at the W3C the appropriate place would be the HTML WG.

Also,
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_process_for_adding_new_features_to_a_specification.3F
might be interesting. (Though you are probably aware of it.)

> This could be as simple as the presence of an
> 'applicationcaching_allowed' file at the top level. An https manifest
> update that wants to retrieve resources from another https origin
> would first have to fetch the 'allow' file and see an expected
> response, and if it doesn't see a good response, those xorigin entries
> would be skipped (matching today's behavior).
>
> The request...
>
> GET /applicationcaching_allowed
> Referer: <manifestUrl of the cache trying  to include resources from
> this host>
>
> The expected response headers...
>
> HTTP/1.x 200 OK
>
> The expected response body...
>
> Allowed:*

So far we have avoided this type of design as it is rather brittle. Maybe
CORS can be used?

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/