[whatwg] Adding descent to TextMetrics

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 06:22:39 PST 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck at jumis.com> wrote:
> I don't feel that this particular proposal was judged at all on merit,
> feasibility, nor costs.
>
> The response was canned, and could have applied to any general class of
> proposals.

You're quite correct.  If you receive a response in this vein, your
best recourse is to try persuading at least one browser implementer to
ask for such a feature.  If browsers specifically want to implement it
now, Ian will probably be willing to spec it, if it's simple (clearly
we don't want unspecified features).  Otherwise, as he said, he'll
probably wait until browsers have implemented existing specs first.
Sometimes features get added without implementers' support, but don't
rely on it.  If it gets implemented, on the other hand, you can be
sure someone will want to spec it, so that interoperability doesn't
suffer.